Before the South Link


Before the South Link was built. Via Facebook where this photo was posted but it was flipped horizontally.


This is what it looks like today from much the same location, but with a wider lens.

An Módh Scoil, Corcaigh


An Módh Scoil, or The Model School on Anglesea Street, Cork was a primary school built in 1865 and operated until the early 1990’s when it was converted to a district court. I went there as a child so it’s wonderful to see this photo of the classroom.

Thanks for the photos here and here.


THE Irish Board of National Education has caused a Model School for the Cork district to be established in that city. The situation, in Anglesea. street, is convenient and accessible from all parts. The building, shown in one of our illustrations, was commenced in January, 1864, and finished this summer. The architect was Mr. J. H. Owen, and the work, according to his designs, was done by Mr. James Delvin, the contractor; Mr. P. Lynch being clerk of the works. The style of architecture is Italian, the materials are red and black bricks, with Portland stone dressings and sculptured capitals and limestone columns. The interior is divided into three compartments—namely, male, female, and infant schools-which are distinctly separated from each other. The entire length of the front line of the building is 291 ft., exclusive of yards or railings. A tower 60 ft. high rises in the centre, the upper story of which is intended as an observatory for the advanced classes of the male department. The boys’ school is 60 ft. long by 30 ft. wide; the girls’, 40 ft. by 30 ft. There is a maritime school, 40 ft. by 25 ft., with four class-rooms attached, with lavatory, caproom, and coatroom. The infants’ school is 48 ft. long by 25 ft. wide, with one class-room, lavatory, cloak and bonnet room. To each school-room are attached large, airy sheds, with spacious playgrounds and every necessary accommodation.

[Taken from Illustrated London News, Vol. XLVII, 1865, p.180]